Monday, November 26, 2007

TA: Make up Introduction specific to audience (with note)

Hey Nicole! For some reason this blog got posted in a different version of my own blog. I'm not sure what's going on with that, but I might be able to find the other blog. I posted it Saturday night for a make up of a previous TA I missed.

Raising children and educating is probably on of the most important things to a parent. While I am not yet a parent (nor married), I have great hopes one day being one. This means that educating my future children and preparing for that is very important to me as I’m sure it is to you. One hears often, including myself, of some of the problems facing the current school system, one where myself like many of you, were educated. Problems such as drugs, early drinking and other vices are fairly apparent. It also seems that there are even more school shootings, with each shooter getting younger. What other option is there to parents to educate their children? While more expensive, private institutions can provide children with a great education in a safe environment. But again, this alternative is beyond the financial scope of many. One option that many are choosing is home schooling but with that come a host of questions that need to be addressed. All the issues regarding home schooling are important, but the one that seems to be brought up most is the effect home schooling has on a child’s social development. Does home schooling actually stagnate important social skills developed in the public system?

1 comment:

Brian and Alicia said...

Yes it does. There may be more problems in schools than there were when we were kids but if you are homeschooled, when are you going to learn how to say no? When are you going to be able to practice walking away or standing up for yourself? If you wait till College after everyone else has grown socially, you won't be at the same social skills as those around you and therefore may have problems.

There are some cases that homeschool worked for kids, as long as the parents make sure to integrate their kids in social situations.