Tuesday, September 18, 2007

RA: Gold's Gym Double Strike

I went to Gold’s Gym and was sold to by two different people. The first guy argued that joining Gold’s Gym would increase my manliness because the gym would bulk me up. His assumption didn’t go over very well (anything which would bulk me up would increase my manliness) because it seemed to imply I wasn’t manly enough. He came off as a strong macho man who knew what he was doing (he would help me bulk up by taking some sort of legal drug that had gained him twenty pounds in one month!). He was probably attempting to appear as great guy or role model for me to follow. His arguing was typical in describing the greatness of Gold’s Gym (employee sacrifices, the best machines in the U.S., etc.). Gold’s Gym was hands down the very best gym out there and if I thought differently that meant I didn’t know jack about anything. He continually referred to himself as a trainer and not a sales representative but it certainly didn’t feel that way. His argument was a little too sufficient—too much information I didn’t care about. He had mostly accurate information in explaining the why their machines were so good and the strange weight gaining pill. However his relevancy towards me was lacking (too much extra information and too little personal information)—I wanted to gain some muscle but not become a macho head.

The other salesman, Matt, was much more relevant in his argument. He tried to make the whole argument relevant to me, even pointing out a machine to build up my left arm for the bagpipes. To him, joining the gym would be a good thing for me. He established credibility by talking like a normal person (we seemed to have a lot in common) who found the gym to be a great place for health, increasing strength and becoming better. He also made really good comparisons with Gold’s gym others without cutting them down. Matt was persistent in getting me to join but when I declined a few times he let me go. Overall the biggest difference was his approach and the relevancy of his argument. I felt bad rejecting the offer to go to the gym and who knows I might end up going there just because of how he used rhetoric!

1 comment:

Brian and Alicia said...

Didi,

Hilarious. It's always interesting to see two different sales pitches. Don't go to Gold's Gym though; go to M Schmem and Sassy's; they love their's.