Thursday, October 4, 2007

FW: Haikus and Stat 336

Wednesday plus Thursday
Sitting in stats lab
Working for twelve hours on this
Longing to go home.

Stat 336 Drudgery
Hoping I can leave
Latex, R and then S-weave
Why won’t my code work?

Revised Haiku.
If I only knew
How hard this might be.
I’d probably cry even more.

Friends forged in Statistical Pain
Friends in pain in stats
Dinner breaks to conversate
Makes meaningful class.

So what is the point of giving students a homework assignment that takes them somewhere over ten hours to complete? While statistics can be fun, learning to understand and do your homework while trying to put it in a beautifully represented pdf. file for all to see is even harder. I appreciate the ideal of learning cutting edge technology in the statistics world but please give me more time! I feel sort of like a hamster on a wheel, running and running and coding and coding but never really learning too much. Not that it won’t sink in eventually though. I am finding that learning is coming more quickly. I can certainly do a lot more than I could a week ago, or even yesterday. My class has been described as “taking a drink from a fire hose.” But at least that means I get a drink!

No comments: