Thursday, October 18, 2007

TA: Audience Awareness, home schooling and immigration

In writing my paper on the effect of home schooling on children’s socialization skills I’ve come to the realization that audience awareness is extremely important. Knowing the audience is extremely important. For instance, my paper is directed more towards middles class (probably conservative) people. Talking about families and the impact home schooling has on them can be very effective with this group. If I were writing to a Christian audience I would have included an emphasis on scriptures and what the Bible says about teaching your children. If I were writing to Latter-day Saints I would include quotes from General Authorities on the subject. Writing to liberals would be a very different story and I would need to do research to see how exactly I would need to write to them.
With the next paper coming up on immigration, here are some ideas as to how to talk to specific audiences. Writing to policy makers I would use a lot of facts, use a lot of logical arguments and work more at establishing credibility. The general public of those who aren’t yet decided on immigration would be reached much better persuaded with emotional feelings such as the American dream, the hope of a better life, our responsibility to our fellow man, etc. Audience awareness also involves location. For instance I could write to Utahns with a more religious feel. Including scripture might be effective if writing to the L.D.S. population in Utah. I would write differently to Californians or other border states showing the evils of over immigration and how it is hurting the common American man—in reality the common Texan, or Californian, etc. All this points to the importance of being aware of the intended audience and then developing arguments and reasoning that will impact them the most.

No comments: