Thursday, October 25, 2007

FW: Rejoice!

I’ve been pondering over the past few days how to be happier. Life isn’t bad, but deadlines and projects seem to take a bit out of life. A few things have begun to change in my thinking as I have relearned them. At FHE I gave the lesson from Elder Uchtdorf who spoke on enduring joyfully to the end. He related his own story living as a refugee child in post war Germany. It was dark times, however, it was during this time that his family found and accepted the gospel of Jesus Christ which was to them as a beacon of hope. We talked about why the gospel is something of such great joy. For one, it gives eternal perspective. All these little problems are in the end, not of great consequence, but rather how we live in love and in serving each other. God will not leave us alone to grope in the dark but is always there to aid us that we may be happy which is the gift of life. God has given us agency and happiness is a choice we can choose to make. Through the enabling power of the Savior’s Atonement we can be made happy and joyful. Though our outward circumstances have not changed, the inward man can change.
It is with these thoughts that I realize I must rejoice for I have great cause to. I have cause to rejoice in compliments and not turn them down. I have cause to rejoice in temporal and spiritual blessings. I have cause to rejoice in school, in work, in grades, in my family and in my friends. Learning of Him who’s love can fill us with hope will enable us to joyfully endure, not in pain but in marvel! Let the mountains shout for joy, and all ye valleys cry aloud; and all ye seas and dry lands tell the wonders of your Eternal King! Let ye solid rocks weep for joy! How glorious is the voice proclaiming in our ears, glory, and salavations, and honor, and immortatliy and eternal life! Let your hearts rejoice, and be exceedingly glad, for the Lord doth reign and Christ is His name! (Doctrine and Covenants 128:22-23)

No comments: